In 2020 I found my breath. I found myself stressed, anxious, and worrisome over little things and the COVID19 global pandemic had worsen these emotions. I learned that by grounding and centering myself through Meditation it has greatly improved my mental and emotional wellbeing.
I used to say to myself why do I need to meditate, I don’t need meditation and I can’t meditate my mind won’t quiet down. Little did I know I would be an advocate of meditation and its effects within me. When I started meditation, I learned to focus on my breath to calm my negative emotions as well as the jumbled thoughts that was crowding my mind.
Anyone can practice meditation. It's simple, inexpensive and doesn't require any special equipment. By focusing on the breath I gave my mind something to focus on for the time I spend on it.
How can I meditate?Here’s a simple way to begin your meditation routine:
- Dedicate time daily to meditation to form the habit. Start with 5 minutes daily if that’s the only time you have.
- Create a personal space, where you would be uninterrupted. If you have pets or kids you want to do this at a time when they are less likely to come to you or check if they can be taken cared of by someone else so you can focus on you. Remember this, this is ME time! I typically spray my space with either a Salt and Sage Mist or a Palo Santo Mist to clear all energies in that space.
- Find a comfortable position. Some people meditate lying down, standing, the most common way is sitting down, either on a chair or on a floor with or without a cushion. Some sit normally or in a lotus sitting position. If you are used to having scents to relax you, I suggest you start diffusing essential or aromatic oils at least 10minutes before or light a candle.
- Close your eyes. Take deep, audible breaths, breathing in through the nose and out through the mouth. As you exhale relax into each exhale until you are fully relaxed, no tension between your eyes, jaw or shoulders where we typically keep ourselves tension.
- Take a few moments to settle into your body. Turn your mind inwards and let it simply be. It is impossible to not have any thought so if you do, do not chase it and let it be.
- Set an intention and focus on your breath for a few minutes. If you find your mind wander just come back and focus back on your breath.
- Before opening your eyes check on yourself. Feel your surroundings and slowly open your eyes. Appreciate yourself for the practice you’ve done today.
What tools helped me?
Do use candles, essential oils or incense to amplify your meditative state. Our Meditate Candle Collection is perfect for this and we have a wide variety of scents that helps with your intentions. Each candle is infused with positive energy. I find that they help strengthen my intentions and allows me to fully realize my purpose for each practice. This is one of the tools that has helped me deepen my meditation.
Benefits of Meditation
As meditation becomes more constant, you just may experience these added benefits:
- Increases memory, mental clarity & attention.
- Enhances will-power.
- Regulates emotions; even boosts positive feelings & actions toward others.
- Improves sleep quality.
- Reduces stress (and stress-related conditions), blood pressure, anxiety & depression.
- Eases chronic pain.